Compulsory Vehicle Inspection
Designated, or government-mandated vehicle inspections are required for all used vehicles brought into BC from another province. Also known as Out of Province Inspection, the BC government requires this test to ensure that the vehicle is compliant with all safety standards mandated in the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations (MVAR). This applies to:
- Purchases of used vehicles from out of province.
- If you are relocating from another province and bringing your vehicle with you to BC.
Some vehicles are exempt from this BC inspection requirement. According to ICBC’s guidelines on importing a vehicle into BC, some instances where the inspection might not be required include:
- New vehicles
- Qualified private vehicles imported from Alberta or Saskatchewan (as per the New West Partnership Trade Agreement)
- Heavy vehicles with a net weight of 3501 kg or more
- Low speed electric vehicles
Click here for more info on ICBC regulations and exemptions.