Compulsory Vehicle Inspection BC
Designated, or government-mandated vehicle inspections are required for all used vehicles brought into British Columbia from another province. Also known as Out of Province Inspection, the BC government requires this test to ensure that the vehicle is compliant with all safety standards mandated in the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations (MVAR). This applies to:
- Purchases of used vehicles from out of province.
- If you are relocating from another province and bringing your vehicle with you to BC.
Some out-of-province vehicles are exempt from this BC inspection requirement. According to ICBC’s guidelines on importing a vehicle into BC, some instances where the inspection might not be required include:
- New vehicles
- Qualified private vehicles imported from Alberta or Saskatchewan (as per the New West Partnership Trade Agreement)
- Heavy vehicles with a net weight of 3501 kg or more
- Low speed electric vehicles
Click here for more info on ICBC regulations and exemptions.
Optional Vehicle Inspection BC
Optional vehicle inspections are elective or voluntary inspections, which you’ve chosen to undertake for your own safety.
You may choose an optional inspection because:
- You may be wondering about the safety of your current vehicle.
- You may be about to purchase a new-to-you car. While we’d like to tell you that most people are honest, the truth is that buying a used vehicle can be a gamble. Which is where an option pre-purchase vehicle inspection is highly recommended.
- You may be thinking of selling your car. An inspection is a great option to show potential buyers that your used vehicle is not one of the many lemons out there!
Inspection Check Points
A comprehensive vehicle inspection may include some or all of the following check points:
Current vehicle registration and your identification must match.
Overall Auto Body Inspection
Your auto body technician will examine the body of the vehicle, looking for signs of rust, damage, or evidence of a previous accident.
All driver controls including visors, windshield wipers, accelerator and brake pedals, power steering, and other operational controls are inspected for functionality and safety.
Complete Body Check
The vehicle frame and unibody, trailer hitch, bumpers, floors, doors, seats, and seat belts etc., are checked for safety.
Tires, road clearance, steering linkage, ball joints, shock absorbers, and the exhaust system must pass a rigorous inspection.
All brakes and associated components must pass a safety check.
Lights and Electrical
Battery, indicator lights, dashboard warning lights, headlamps (including daytime running lights), and switches must be operational.
Under the Hood
The engine and its components, including fuel system, oil, fluids, etc., are checked and must pass a rigorous inspection.
Suspension and Tires
Shocks and tires are carefully checked via manual inspection and/or a test drive.
AC and heating systems are inspected.
A vehicle inspection will play a key role in keeping you and others, safe on BC’s roads. Call us to give the vehicle in question a clean bill of health, and give you complete peace of mind. We’re Open 7 DAYS A WEEK!
Abbotsford – 604-859-9223